Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Birthday Thoughts

Today's my birthday! I used to consider it a bummer to share my big day with Income Tax Day. But now I know the twinning of those events is really a blessing in disguise because the people who truly love me can never forget April 15.

As those same peeps know, this has not been the best year of my life. I am grateful for my children, family, friends, readers, and the team or professionals who've become my surrogate family, assembling around me to guide me through these last 6 tumultuous months.


So as I blow out the many candles on my cake tonight, I won't be wishing or regretting, but thanking:

Thanks for being patient and gentle with me.
Thanks for emailing me when you've read my books and letting me know that my humble words have touched you.
Thanks for helping me see the beauty in everyday blessings.


We only have to look to find beauty. And sometimes, as I learned with the sea turtles on the Big Island this last week, we have to look behind us, too.

But today, I am looking forward, not behind, to a wonderful year of healing and adventures. And quite possibly both.

18 comments:

Sarah Rettger said...

Happy birthday from another April baby! (I get asked about being born on April Fool's Day, but there's just so much more you can do with tax day.)

Maya Ganesan said...

Oh my goodness. Today is my dear grandmother's birthday. (We celebrated with cake. Yummm. Hope there's something just as delicious your way!)

Shelly B said...

Just wanted to wish you a very Happy Birthday! I have our book in my TBR pile for my book club in June. Can't wait to read it!

Erika Powell said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Melissa O. said...

Happy Birthday! I wish you a wonderful year to come :-)

holly cupala said...

Happy birthday, dear friend!

My verification word: flifyish. I hope you have had a most fabulously flifyish day! See you tomorrow for rocking the drop!

Beth Kephart said...

A day late, but a heart right there with you. You are a source of great good, Justina, and I wish you all happiness for the year ahead.

Anonymous said...

Justina-
Happy Belated Birthday! I work at a public library in Charlotte, NC. I recently read North of Beautiful and nominated it for our Mock Printz reading club. Our YA Librarian and I are thinking about using the book for a teen chat program. We both loved it! Thanks!
-Karyn

Stacy Nyikos said...

Happy Birthday! I hope the next year brings far more joy and a lot less stress for you.

Mrs. F-B's Books Blog said...

Hope you had a great day and a fabulous year to come!

Erin said...

I heart you. I hope you had a rocking birthday yesterday. :)

Shelf Elf said...

Happy Birthday (yesterday) Justina!

I hope you enjoyed every moment with your kids and family and I wish you a year of great writing, good friends and new experiences.

Kerry

alvinaling said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Dear One! I don't know why I didn't remember that your birthday was on tax day... despite everything (or perhaps, because of everything), I hope that this becomes the best year of your life, and that it keeps getting better from here!

Claire Mysko said...

Happy belated birthday, Justina! May you find beauty in many new places this year. And thank YOU for all the beauty you bring to the world through your words and your incredible work.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Looking forward with you, my friend!

Little Willow said...

Happy happy. :)

Elliott Ng said...

Happy belated birthday Tina!

Thought about you because i think you came to our school in Mountain View a few years back (but I missed it)...Yew Chung International School (YCIS) Silicon Valley.

Look forward to connecting up again. are you in China? We have some common interests then as I am blogging about China at my blog CNReviews.com

Justina Chen said...

Thank you, everyone for these amazing birthday wishes! xoxo

eXTReMe Tracker